Planning a trip to the Highlands and wondering if your favourite museum is open? Here is a comprehensive list that will let you know what their plans are, ways you can support them from afar and/or how to contact them to find out more. You can also check our map page to find out where they are – https://museumsandheritagehighland.org.uk/map
**MUSEUMS THAT ARE OPEN NOW OR OPENING SOON**
- NOW OPEN! (opened 3rd August)
- Times: Tuesday -Saturday 10am-4.30pm, although this may change so check their website before you travel.
- Can’t visit this year? “adopt” one of their objects – all info on the website at www.glencoemuseum.com/adopt-an-object.
- Website: www.glencoemuseum.com
- Follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Trip Advisor.
Museum of the Isles, Armadale Castle, Skye
- Museum of the Isles is reopening this Thursday 6th August.
- During August the museum will be open Thursday – Sunday, 10am-4pm.
- During September/October the museum will be open Thursday to Sunday, 9:30am-5:30pm.
- During November the museum will be open Thursday to Sunday, 10am-3pm.
- Entry to the museum will be via timed ticket, purchased at the main ticket office. A one way system has been introduced with floor markers to maintain social distancing and hand sanitiser/handwashing facilities are available at entrance and exit. They are encouraging visitors to wear face coverings and are collecting visitor details to support NHS Scotland’s Test and Protect service as per Scottish Government guidance. Face coverings are required in our shop areas.
- Audio guides will not be available at this time and the library is currently closed
- All details and any changes to the above info will updated via our website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- NOW OPEN! (opened 22nd July)
- Opening times: Tues – Sat 10-5. Special 9-10 slot for members and those vulnerable to covid.
- Please book before hand via their website https://www.gairlochmuseum.org/visit
- You can read all about the changes they have made and what you can expect on your visit here https://www.gairlochmuseum.org/update
- If you can’t visit this year, but would like to continue supporting the museum at this difficult time, please do so via these links: https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/gairloch-and-district-heritage-society
- Or become a member here: https://membermojo.co.uk/gairlochmuseum
- And/or you can still engage with their work and projects here: https://www.gairlochmuseum.org/research and https://vimeo.com/manage/folders/2246916
- And of course, follow them on social media: https://www.facebook.com/gairlochmuseum/ https://twitter.com/GairlochMuseum https://www.instagram.com/gairlochmuseum/?hl=en
- NOW OPEN (reopened 1st August)
- Opening Times will be – Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, 11-4, Saturday 10-5.
- Customer details will be taken; 10 people Max inside the museum at one time; Masks to be Worn; One way system; Films shown on the hour; New Outdoor History Treasure Trail (both Adults and Children)
- Can’t visit this year? Donate! Ullapool Museum Giving Fund – paypal.com/gb/fundraiser/charity/3920689
- Website www.ullapoolmuseum.co.uk
- You Tube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ullapool+museum
- Social media links – facebook, @ullapoolmuseum | instagram, @ullapoolmuseum | Twitter, @Ullapoolmuseum | TikTok, @Ullapoolmuseum
- NOW OPEN! (did so, on 18th July)
- Open 7 days a week from 10.30am to 4pm.
- Visitors can just pay at reception or prepay online via their website or book exclusive use of the museum after hours for £30 for a group of up to 8 people. www.historylinks.org.uk
- They have a traffic light system in place and a limit to 10 people in the museum at a time. All visitors are asked to wear a face covering if their health permits and to sanitise their hands on entry. There is also a sanitising station half way around the museum. There is a one way system in place and people are asked not to touch anything.
- They have some new exhibits including an outdoor display of domestic object from the late 19th, early 20th century, an 18th Century dress and a display about their latest community project funded by HLF of a preclearance site at Dalnamain, Dornoch. The display features a scale model of the settlement c1800 made by a Historylinks volunteer and the Young Curators.
- Their Young Curators have also created an exhibition of masks that they made for a Halloween walk last year. Each mask depicts a character from Dornoch’s history and they have written the interpretation in their own words.
- They also have 4 films for visitors to watch and a brand new children’s quiz.
- Keep up to speed via their websites and facebook, www.historylinks.org.uk or www.historylinksarchive.org.uk or https://www.facebook.com/HistorylinksMuseum/
Tain District Museum and Clan Ross Centre
- OPEN by appointment only.
- If you are interested in visiting the museum please e-mail them at email@example.com and they will make arrangements for your visit.
- You can also keep up to speed with their news on their Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/Tain-District-Museum-and-Clan-Ross-Centre-222578941260401/
Tarbat Discovery Centre, Portmahomack
NOW OPEN for pre-booked visits – to book a slot and find out more about your visit, go to their website – https://www.tarbat-discovery.co.uk/visitor-information You can also make a donation to support them there if you can’t visit this year.
West Highland Museum, Fort William
- Opening 1st September
- Open: Tuesday to Friday 10am to 2pm
- Will have a booking system – details to follow
- Require face coverings, following of a one way system, no-touch policy, and will be taking customer details
- If you can’t visit this year, you can still support them: Website has a donations button, see below.
- Follow their FB page to find out more about their digital projects and their Jacobite digital heritage trail.
- Twitter: @WestHighMuseum
Currently closed, but working on reopening behind the scenes – check out their Real Rights Digital exhibition and other digital events via their website – https://timespan.org.uk/ And updates on opening will be announced on their social channels – https://www.facebook.com/TimespanCulturalOrg/
Cromarty Courthouse Museum
- Will be open on Saturdays and Sundays during August from 12am until 4pm. Admission is free.
- Staff and volunteers will be on hand to advise you on your route through the Courthouse and they will ask all visitors to use the hand sanitiser provided, wear a suitable face covering and maintain social distancing.
- They may be able to open the Courthouse on weekends in September so, if you plan to visit then, please check their website – http://www.cromarty-courthouse.org.uk/ or Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/CromartyCourthouseMuseum/
Groam House Museum, Rosemarkie
- Are aiming to open mid August
- Opening times: Thursday to Sunday from 1:30 – 4pm
- Booking is essential, only 1 group in at a time, maximum of 6 people in the group, half an hour slots. Details on how to book will be posted in due course
- Face coverings will be required. Guided tour will be offered.
- Even if you can’t visit this year, you can still engage in their work and support the museum. Ways to donate and see the work they are doing can be found on their website.
- Their exhibition this year is ‘Book of Kells; Mysteries Revealed’ which is being put together in conjunction with Thomas Keyes. There are links on their web site to www.scribalstyles.com – Thomas Keyes’ web site showing you how parts of the exhibition were created.
- Web site: www.groamhouse.org.uk Facebook: GroamHouse Twitter: Twitter @ Groamhouse
Highland Museum of Childhood, Strathpeffer
Working hard to welcoming people back to the museum, but no dates announced yet. Visit their website for more details – highlandmuseumofchildhood.org.uk
Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore
- NOW OPEN ( opened 29th July)
- Opening times – Wed – Sunday 10.30 – 4
- Booking system to be made public on Monday 27th – https://www.highlifehighland.com/highlandfolkmuseum/
- Face coverings required in the toilets and shop
- Donations link on booking system and on website
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
- NOW OPEN (reopened 4th August)
- Open times: Tues – Sat: 10.30 to 16:00
- Booking system being finalised
- Face covering to be worn and one way system to be followed
- Donations link on booking system and website – https://www.highlifehighland.com/inverness-museum-and-art-gallery/
The Highlanders Museum, Fort George
Will be reopening, but date yet to be announced. Check their facebook page for updates – https://www.facebook.com/thehighlandersmuseum
Mallaig Heritage Centre
NTS sites including Culloden Battlefield
- Culloden is NOW OPEN (reopened 1st August)
- They will be open 10 to 4 and are asking people to book online to come into the exhibition. https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/culloden/events
- Brodie Castle, Inverewe gardens, Glencoe and Glenfinnan will be opening shortly. Check back for more details.
- Abertaff House and Hugh Miller’s Cottage are staying closed for now
**MUSEUMS STAYING CLOSED OR STILL DECIDING**
- Staying Closed for the season
- Currently working on a project titled – ‘Retail Therapy: Shops and Businesses in the Historic Market Town of Nairn’ which will involve a mixture of volunteers and locals. The aim is to gather memories, stories and photographs of Nairn shops and businesses to add to their archive, and they hope to have an exhibition on this next season.
- Video tours of their exhibition spaces and current exhibition ‘A Woman’s Place: Prominent Women from the History of Nairn’ are being worked on and will be posted on social media.
- Facebook link : https://www.facebook.com
- Website link is: http://www.nairnmuseum.co.uk/ and you can also DONATE via the website to show your support!
Glenfinnan Station Museum – Not sure of plans yet. Call ahead – 01397 722295
Strathnaver Museum, Bettyhill
Are not reopening this season. You can still support them and engage with their work by visiting their website – www.strathnavermuseum.org.uk
Wick Heritage Museum
- Staying Closed for the season. BUT they have lots of ways you can still engage with and support them!
- Johnston Photographic Collection (www.johnstoncollection.net)
- Wick Voices (www.wickheritage.org)
- They are about to launch a Blog on their website (www.wickheritage.org)
- Social Media – Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/WickHeritageMuseum) Twitter @museumwick: YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYVEkpXFWRp_cW2q_68gJhw)
- Heritage Trail – we are about to launch via a number of online and print formats information on a series of heritage sites around Wick
- Pop-up Shop – In the covered area at Wick’s Old Herring Mart we are setting up a ‘shop’ to sell books and other related things.
Laidhay Croft Museum – Not opening – visit their website http://laidhay.co.uk/
Dunbeath Heritage Museum – Not currently open – follow their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DunbeathHM/
Brora Heritage Centre – Not sure of plans. Check their Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/broraheritage/
Invergordon Museum – Are not opening this season – keep up to date on their news via their website http://www.invergordonmuseum.co.uk/
Grantown Museum – are still deciding. Check their website https://www.grantownmuseum.co.uk/
- Staying closed for the season.
- You can find all their latest newsletters, how to donate by PayPal, links to their various social media channels, and details of how to become a member of the Moray Society on their website – www.elginmuseum.org.uk
- They will be continuing to create “virtual museum” content, with activities on their web page, new blog posts, and new videos on their YouTube Channel. There are also plans to run some online “in conversation” talks and lectures over the autumn / winter instead of their usual on site lecture series.
- PayPal donate link: https://t.co/yE8OdZHpSU?amp=1
- Moray Society Membership: https://elginmuseum.org.uk/the-moray-society/membership/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqVYIHX1wwQUPOcJdVljb7g
- Twitter: @ElginMuseum
- Facebook: ElginMuseumMoray
- Instagram: @Elginmuseum
- Blog: https://elginmuseum.org.uk/museum-musings/
- Online Activities/Quizzes: https://elginmuseum.org.uk/education-and-outreach/
- Online Jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/ElginMuseum